Delicious, Healthy and Seasonal Stuffed Butternut Squash
Nothing is more satisfying and scrumptious than a baked squash that’s filled with healthy veggies, grains, berries, and beans.
Get creative and change up the ingredients to your favorites or items you have in your pantry.
Butternut Stuffed Squash
Perfect Dish to Warm Your Soul and Satisfy Your Appetite
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 teaspoon olive oil (divided)
- 1/3 cup quinoa (or other whole grain)
- 3/4 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 bunch kale (or spinach)
- 1 clove garlic-minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 can chickpeas (15 oz) drained and rinsed
- 1 orange zested+juiced
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried fruit of choice
- 1/3 cup cheese of choice- dairy or non dairy (we like feta)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts- almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut butternut squash in half (lengthwise), scoop out the seeds, set halves on baking tray. Drizzle 1 tsp. oil on both squash halves. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake 50 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from oven. Turn oven temp to 375.
- When squash is baking- place broth in saucepan and bring to boil. Add quinoa. Cook for 15 minutes- turning down heat to simmer once boiling with cover on. Broth should be absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add kale-cook until wilted and reduce heat to low. Add garlic, oregano, salt, pepper. Cook until fragrant about 30 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, orange zest, juice, quinoa, berries, and nuts.
- When squash is cool enough to touch, remove the flesh leaving a firm crater to stuff. Mix flesh with all other ingredients. Stuff the mixture into halves and return to oven at 375 degrees for about 10-15 more minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!