Best Stuffed Peppers Ever
Have it your way is the best way to describe the unlimited ingredient choices you have when making stuffed peppers. Veggies, beans, grains, meat, nuts, seasoning and maybe the kitchen sink can be added to these healthy, vividly colored, and crunchy peppers to satisfy everyone’s tastes.
This week in one of my regular cooking demos, I made both a ground mushroom stuffing for filling half the peppers, and ground turkey stuffing for the other half. In both we used a brown basmati rice (whole grain), onion, garlic, tomatoes, and fresh parsley. Black beans would have been an additional ingredient to add for even more flavor and nutrition. The possibilities are endless.
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole grain brown rice, couscous, etc.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound protein/veggies- ground ground turkey, mushrooms, your choice
- 1 can 14.5 diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 6 bell peppers- halved
- 1 cup cheese dairy, nut based, etc.
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped
- Cut peppers in half and place in baking dish (9 X 13). Drizzle with olive oil.